Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It is all about colour

Time is a- ticking! Next week at this time I will be back at school for the 3 days inservice before the students return the following week. I am a Senior High School teacher and truthfully I must admit I enjoy my work. Let me count some ways:



  • I love the exploration of learning- it thrills me when I see that a student has finally arrived at an understanding. This is for me the colour green.


  • I enjoy some of the unplanned and unexpected moments - the colour purple.

  • It thrills me when a lesson runs smoothly and students thank you before they leave or say, "Miss, I enjoyed that lesson," as they rush out the door. Oh...definitely pink...a rose shade of pink.

  • I enjoy the fun we have as a staff and the support from other teachers. A warm yellow.

    There are many other aspects of teaching I enjoy. Sadly, there are those moments that cause anguish and hurt or those times when no matter how many years you have been teaching, you begin to question your professionalism and skills.



Holidays are my salvation. It is a time when I re-energize and evaluate what I can do better.



This year looks promising. I have the usual workload- Senior English and Senior Italian. We are planning our trip to Italy; this happens every 2 years, and hopefully by mid 2009 we, the staff, will no longer struggle to find a carpark. This year the school I teach at is due for some major renovations.

So this last week of vacation finds me trying to squeeze in as much as I can. What have I accomplished this week so far?




  • I made a sleeve for my pencil holder

  • I added to my Field of Flowers... as I mentioned before these flowers are blooming in no organised colour scheme and I have to admit the colours are screaming at me.

...and at the moment, I am making some mobile phone socks. These are not completed as you can see.



As I sit and work with the multi coloured yarns, I look out at my jungle that at the moment is so verdant and in need of some colour. Outside there is a constant buzzing as the cicadas fine tune their symphony.

I have a colour obsession - that is, I find it difficult to restrict myself to pastel colours or even co-ordinated colours. I tend to gravitate towards bright and gaudy. I mentioned this to my daughter who then sent me some quotes about colour to make me appreciate this idiosyncrasy.

"Mere colour, unspoiled by meaning and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways."Oscar Wilde (1854-1900).

So I leave you today while I go and continue my conversations with colours ..............

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers